Romantic Valentine, Lame Tradition

I totally appreciate the romanticism in the idea that Valentine sent the first ever "Valentine" card ("From your Valentine") to his lover, who happened to be his jailer's daughter, from behind prison walls. But here's the thing, Valentine (if this is the version of the story that you prefer) sent that letter to the woman (girl, if we're being accurate) because he loved her! Not because that day happened to be the day that you're required to tell your significant other that you love them. NO! It was just a random day and he thought he'd be a romantic kind of guy and write to her. It irritates me to no end that we use the romantic and thoughtful action of a man a long, long time ago, as an excuse to spend only one day a year showering the ones we love with roses and chocolates. You should do that randomly, when YOU think it's the right time. Not on this one day just because some other guy did it around the same time back in the day!

Facts (that I found while putting off algebra):
  • 85% of all Valentines are purchased by women. (upsetting) 
  • 15% of US women send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day (even more upsetting)
  • Verona Italy receives about 1,000 letters every year sent to Juliet.
  • The oldest surviving love poem is written on a clay tablet from the time of the Sumerians.
  • In the Middle Ages young men and women would draw names to see who their Valentine would be.
  • 3% of pet owners will give Valentine's gifts to their pets (because the other 97% aren't off their rockers.)
  •  Alexander Graham Bell applied for his patent on the telephone on Valentine's Day of 1876.
  • Cupid was chosen as the symbol of Valentine's Day because he was the son of Venus, the roman god of love and beauty.


  1. I want you to know that I agree that your dad should send me flowers, randomly, all year long, and let's not forget the chocolates!! :D

  2. LOL That would be what you would take from this!

  3. I had no idea about the women sending themselves flowers :( that's awful


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Things Fall Apart to Fall Together (My Path to Teaching)

What Teaching Really is: According to a First Year Teacher

Another Lesson Learned