What is the Point of Life Without Music?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche
“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.” -Victor Hugo
“Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy.” -Ludwig Van Beethoven
“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...” -Albert Schweitzer

Sometimes, words already exist to express the things you're feeling. That's why I included a few quotes that really resonate with me.
The power of music never ceases to inspire and move me. It is such a powerful medium. Something about it just captures the soul in a way that nothing else ever can. And though I began writing this with the idea that I could express exactly how music moves us so much, I don't think I can. It's not something that can be put to words, as Hugo says. It's something internal, something emotional and spiritual that exists only inside of us. Whether it's through lyrics or instruments, music holds a power over us that I don't think any of us can really explain.
When you think about it, putting anything to music immediately hightens emotions... movies, commercials, photo montages, anything. Music somehow tells you how to feel. It's incredible and mind boggling. 

Jason Mraz's "I Won't Give Up" music video is really what inspired this post and so I thought I would include some videos that have truly touched and inspired me. Some are music videos, some are movie trailers, but all include music that has made some kind of an impact on me.... Hope you enjoy.

Jason Mraz's "I Won't Give Up." It brings tears to my eyes. And I can't even say exactly why. It's just full of emotion and love and dedication. It's beautiful.



"Broken" by Lifehouse.
I can't hear this song without scenes from The Time Traveler's wife playing through my head... it stuck.



The first time I heard Christina Perri's song "Jar of Hearts" was on an episode of So You Think You Can Dance. I fell in love with it, and her, immediately! When she came out with the music video, I was amazed. Absolute perfection.



TLC's unpretty is a song that came out when I was 9 years old, before I really even listened to music much. But I will never forget the impact that song had on me as a young girl. I think the music video says it all.



I will never forget the first time I saw the Phantom of the Opera trailer, I was in the movie theatre with my mom waiting for another movie to start, and The Phantom trailer came on. NEVER had I been so excited for a movie in my life, and I am not exaggerating at all. I had chills! 



One Tree Hill was my favorite tv show for a long time. It lasted 9 seasons and had an amazing impact on me. Music was always an integral part of the show, in fact each episode was named after a song. But this song and episode in particular will stick with me for a lifetime. "War Sweater" by Wakey!Wakey! (whose lead singer was an actor on the show for a little while) gives me chills and absolutely makes the beginning of this episode!


"Almost Lover" by A Fine Frenzy is a song that has always resonated with me. For whatever reason, from the first time I heard it, it sang to my soul. There's something so poetic and sweet and sad, that you can't help but be moved by it.




Evanescence's "Bring Me Back to Life" is another song that I can't really explain the significance of to me. Part of it probably has to do with the movie Daredevil or maybe the first time I discovered rock music, but for whatever the reason this song holds a special place in my heart.




I know there are SO, SO many songs I am forgetting that have left an impact on me, but those are the first ones that came to mind.
Music is so powerful! Maybe none of these songs resonate with you, but I'm sure you have plenty that do! I would love to hear what they are! 

Music is infinite and magical and emotional and inspiring. How lucky we are to have it.

Comments