33 Things

As I sit alone in my apartment drinking wine out of a plastic cup, surrounded by packed moving boxes, it occurs to me that I'm at the end of a very significant chapter of my life. The school years that I thought would never end have come to a close, and I'm left wondering how 23 years of my life went by so quickly.

I'm in San Marcos spending a last couple days in my empty apartment, which is only slightly more sentimental than it is depressing, thinking about the last 4.5 years of my life. I've learned a lot. Like a lot a lot. I know many people going through this same thing right now, and some who will be in semesters to come. Some of these people have played a part in the things I've learned, so I thought I would share some (in no specific order). Please keep in mind these are things that popped into my head easily, but I've learned TONS more than I can write down in a blog post.


1. It's okay to be in your 20's and still hold out hope that one day you might be a Disney princess.

2. Family truly is everything.

3. Your sister is the best bestfriend you'll ever have, even if you still want to kill her about 50% of the time.

4. Having full conversations with a cat is a perfectly acceptable way of dealing with your feelings.

5. The nerds are also the cool kids.

6. When pairing two fonts, (almost) always choose a serif and a san-serif.

7. It's important to make things. Whether it's a painting or a doodle, there's something fulfilling about turning a thought into a tangible thing.

8. It is 100% okay to live in fantasy land sometimes, and to hope that one day The Doctor will come and sweep you off your feet.

9. There is no substitute for a pencil and a piece of paper.

10. True best friends will always be there for you, no matter how far away they live.

11. Sometimes you just need to cry. Even if it's over a Hallmark commercial.

12. Prayer works.

13. Inspiration is everywhere. Sometimes you just have to look a little deeper to find it.

14. Those closest to you see you better than you see yourself.

15. Losing project files and having to start over is almost always a blessing in disguise.

16. It's important to have faith in something bigger than yourself.

17. The people you think are judging you are probably too wrapped up in their own flaws to notice yours.

19. You cannot disappoint God. He knows your sins before you've even committed them and will always grant forgiveness when asked.

20. You are capable of more than you think.

21. You can't drink two bottles of wine in one night and not expect to pay for it the next day.

22. Being a good person pays off.

23. Envying other people only harms yourself, as does holding grudges.

24. Netflix is like crack (I would imagine).

25. Packing sucks.

26. Unpacking is like Christmas.

27. Cleaning and painting are equally therapeutic.

28. Having to hunt down and kill flying roaches or giant man-eating crickets by yourself is a lot better than not killing them and then wondering where they went while you're lying in bed trying to fall asleep.

29. You will always be your own worst critic.

30. Hard work pays off.

31. It's important to have an internal locus of control. Google it.

32. You have to surround yourself with people who will help and inspire you to be the best version of yourself.

33. Time doesn't stop for anyone, except The Doctor, but even that's debatable.


It's been a difficult, fun, challenging, inspiring, happy, turbulent, good 4.5 years that flew by quicker than I thought possible. I'm so thankful for the good friends I've made along the way and the lessons and skills I've learned. But I am also excited (and nervous, and anxious, and ready) to start a whole new chapter! And another 5 or so years from now I hope to be able to write another post, from another chapter of my life that was just as fulfilling.

If you've read this far, thank you. You're probably one of the people that has impacted my life the most in these last few years. <3











Because I don't have a picture with you Sarah. ;)

Comments