That Awkward Moment when Fiction Meets Reality

I am a serious bookworm! I love books! Fiction, romance, fantasy, sci-fi, I love it! I am also a lover of eternal romance. A hopeless romantic? Maybe, maybe not. But I definitely appreciate romanticism, and that includes in books, movies and quotes that everyone seems so fond of using on their Facebooks. I'm a total girly-girl and I love those kinds of things, unquestionably. However they do occasionally make me stop and think about the kind of impact they would have in reality.
Let me give you an example or two.

 "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." I disagree. First of all, that's not taking into account lightening. Granted, chances are you won't get hit by lightening in your lifetime but do you really want to risk it? Also, literally dancing in the rain (assuming there was actually music playing and you didn't look like an idiot) might be fun for a few minutes, but after the initial excitement I think you'll come to find wet clothes and too much movement are not a good combination. And for ladies without straight hair, do you really want to look like a frizzy, wet dog prancing around in the rain? I doubt it.

NEXT.
Ladies, do you really want to wake up in the middle of the night to find a man, vampire or otherwise, sitting on the edge of your bed staring at you? I don't care how hot he is, or if he's the love of your life, that would scream "stalker!" Undoubtedly, it works in the novels and wasn't too creepy in the movies (thankfully the dream sequence this picture was taken from was not added into the movie), but in reality, I just can't see that being okay. It does not translate well, and I'm not sure why we don't question it so much when reading it but the thought of it actually happening... NOT OKAY.

There are a million more examples of how awkward fictitious moments could become in reality, but this is getting a little lengthy. I'm sure I've made my point anyway.
No matter how sweet and romantic something may be in a novel, movie, quote, etc, it can become very, very awkward in reality.

Comments